Just like in millions of families, diabetes, too runs in my family. And for this reason, my father and his siblings do not fail in reminding us siblings and cousins to watch over what we are eating, especially sweets.
But does this mean the end of desserts? Not really. And so, when the offer to contribute to the July issue of Health Today Magazine came, I quickly jumped at the idea. Allow me to share with you three desserts that are sugar free AND delicious. Oh, and they are easy too.
The first of these recipes is my Banana Bread Pudding. This dessert is sugar free but bananas and raisins provide the sweetness that diabetics and the health-conscious will love. The milk is a good source of calcium, while the sugar-free, whole wheat bread is a good source of fiber. Prep time is only 5 to 10 minutes. And yes, it’s a good dessert for diabetics — and of course, even non-diabetics.
Thank you very much, Health Today Magazine for the opportunity. And special thanks too to TJ and JV Ramos for making it happen.
BANANA BREAD PUDDING – Sugar Free!
Makes 10-12 slices
8 pieces, sugar-free whole wheat bread
2 cups low-fat/non-fat milk
2 egg whites
1 egg yolk
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp group nutmeg
2/3 cup raisins
5 pieces banana
Juice from 1 fresh orange
1 ½ tsp. grated orange zest
1) Preheat your oven to 200ºC
2) In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, banana orange juice and zest. Set aside for a few minutes.
3) Break the bread into pieces. You can break them into 1×1 inch squares using a knife or your hands.
4) Add the bread into the bowl of other combined ingredients. Make sure that all pieces of bread are able to absorb the milk and egg mixture, ensuring that the other ingredients (e.g. bananas and raisins) are well distributed with throughout the entire mixture.
5) Pour the mixture into a 10-inch rectangular Pyrex dish. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the bread turns into a golden brown color. After this, the pudding is ready to be served.
6) As an option, you can serve this dessert with a scoop of sweet yogurt on top.