CBCPNews — MANILA, June 30, 2008—The head of Manila ’s Roman Catholic Church said the Sulpicio Lines may have ventured into the wrong business following another tragedy involving one of its passenger vessels.
“Maybe they (Sulpicio Lines) should not be in this kind of business,” Manila Archbishop Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales told church reporters on Monday.
Rosales said the MV Princess of the Star owner, which capsized and was swept into shallow water near Sibuyan, should face and address their problem instead of making excuses.
He said the shipping company had been involved in at least three major tragedies in the past— reasons enough for the authorities to take serious action.
The prelate also chided earlier claim of Sulpicio officials that the recent tragedy was “an act of God” brought by the raging typhoon.
“Sailing right into the eye of the storm is not an act of God. It’s an act of a stupid person,” he said.
“There’s something wrong in that institution considering that they are in public service and yet they have been involved in the deaths of thousands,” Rosales added. (Roy Lagarde)